Message from the Chief

Kevin Veletean, Fire Chief

On behalf of the 40 professional men and women serving the residents of the City of Tiffin and the contracted areas, I welcome you to the Tiffin Fire/ Rescue Division web page. Within our website you will find various types of information regarding the Fire Division and our operations.
The City of Tiffin Fire/ Rescue Division is a full service fire department providing services ranging from fire prevention and suppression, to emergency medical services, to technical rescue and hazardous materials mitigation.

Operating from 2 strategically located stations, the Tiffin Fire/ Rescue Division provides the highest quality of service to both residents and visitors. We responded to nearly 3,000 calls last year, making Tiffin Fire/ Rescue Division the busiest department in Seneca County.

Since 1894, the members of the Tiffin Fire/ Rescue Division have been there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, responding to all types of emergencies to keep the community and its members safe. We continue these traditions today and strive for continuous improvement in all that we do to provide the best possible services to our community.

I hope you find this page easy to navigate and you come away with a sense of what the Tiffin Fire/ Rescue Division is about. As always, if you see ways we can make your experience here on our page better, please do not hesitate to let us know by contacting any of the members of the Fire Division.

2016 Annual Report

Mission

The Mission of the Tiffin Fire and Rescue Division is to protect life and property through dedicated and professional fire and EMS services.

Philosophy

Building on this mission, the membership was asked to identify philosophy and goal statements, thus establishing targets of excellence for the future.

The following were among the identified philosophy and goal statements:

  • Connector.Connector.

    Recognized as a progressive, well-trained and customer-centered fire organization

  • Connector.Connector.

    Places a high premium on effective service delivery

  • Connector.Connector.

    PROVIDE THE MOST EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT SERVICE POSSIBLE

  • Connector.Connector.

    MEET OR EXCEED ALL STATE AND NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONAL BEST PRACTICES

  • Connector.Connector.

    PLACE A GREAT EMPHASIS ON PREVENTION AND EDUCATION

  • Connector.Connector.

    PROVIDE AN EFFECTIVE RESPONSE FORCE THROUGH ADEQUATE STAFFING LEVELS AND EFFECTIVE AUTOMATIC ASSISTANCE/ MUTUAL AID CONTRACTS

  • Connector.Connector.

    EQUIPMENT WILL BE DEPENDABLE, CAPABLE AND CONSISTENT WITH NEEDS OF OUR COMMUNITY.

  • Connector.Connector.

    EXPAND OUR INFORMATION INITIATIVES FOR CUSTOMER FEEDBACK.

  • Connector.Connector.

    REMAIN IN LINE WITH EXPECTATIONS OF OUR COMMUNITY.

  • Connector.Connector.

    FAMILY ATMOSPHERE NURTURED BY FAIR PRACTICES, OPEN COMMUNICATION AND INNOVATIVE PROCEDURES.

  • Connector.Connector.

    MAINTAIN A PHYSICALLY FIT, HEALTHY, AND INCREASINGLY DIVERSE WORK FORCE

  • Connector.Connector.

    MAINTAIN COMPETITIVE MARKET VALUE COMPENSATION AND PERFORMANCE INCENTIVES

Division staff declared a philosophy and set of goals that include such core words as:

Safety and wellbeing of our members, honesty, excellence in delivery of services, pride, trustworthiness, professionalism, integrity, respect, honor traditions and service, compassion, teamwork, unity, brotherhood, empowerment, higher education, knowledge and customer service.

Since 1894, the Tiffin Fire Department has provided full-time protection to the City of Tiffin. In 1997, EMS was merged creating the Fire/Rescue Division. The 39 men and women which comprise our department today are more than firefighters. The majority are paramedics and certified fire safety inspectors. 21 are trained to the level of Haz-Mat Technicians. Several have training on technical rescues. We provide our services based out of two fire stations. Station 1, located in the heart of downtown, houses two engines, a ladder truck, two ambulances, rescue boats, administrative offices, and support vehicles. Station 2, can be found in the north end of our city. It is located between two major industrial areas and houses an engine, reserve ladder truck, and an ambulance. We utilize cross staffing to cover many of the incidents for which we are requested. Our Fire Prevention Bureau is managed by the Deputy Fire Chief. He and three of the public education instructors are certified as Fire and Life Safety Educators in Ohio.

Meet the Crew

Crew 1

Crew 2

Crew 3

Stations & Apparatus

In addition to responding to all manner of fires and explosions, TFRD personnel also provide emergency medical care, rescue operations (high angle, confined space, swift water, ice, etc.), hazardous materials/hazardous conditions response, investigation of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and assistance during natural or manmade disasters.

Station #1

53 S. Monroe St. 
Tiffin, OH 44883 
(419) 448-5444

Station #2

401 N. Washington St.
Tiffin, OH 44883
(419) 448-5446

Apparatus

(4) Engines
(2) Ladder Trucks
(3) Ambulances
(3) Staff Vehicles
(1) 14′ Zodiac Inflatable Rescue Boat
(1) Aluminum, Flat Bottom Rescue Boat
(1) Rescue Alive – Ice Rescue Sled
(6) Mustang Immersion Suits
(1) Air Powered Line Gun
-Approx. 30 PFD’s and helmets placed throughout boats & apparatus
-Misc. Ropes and hardware for rigging systems
-Numerous personnel with training in river rescue procedures
-Misc. scuba equipment, No organized team

History

Tiffin’s first volunteer fire company began in 1843. At the time, bucket brigades and horse drawn wagons were used to fight fires. By the 1870’s there were five fire companies, five engine companies and two hook and ladder companies in five wards. The force was made up of 120-130 volunteers. The volunteer force was replaced with a full time force of eight regular and fifteen minutemen.
The Great Tiffin Fire Conflagration of April 13, 1872 began in the oldest part of the city on the Fort Ball/ Oakley side of the river. April 13, 1872 was a warm, very windy day (gale force) in a northeasterly direction. It began on the North West corner of South Sandusky Street and Miami Street (where Tiffin University is now located). It is believed to have been caused by a candle-making project where a spark ignited the roof, but owners insist it started by a discarded cigar or ashes.

Engine Company #3 was just a mere 100 yards from the fire and there was a fire cistern in front of the fire house. By the time the volunteers arrived, fire was spreading all down the north side of Miami Street. Twenty minutes after the first alarm, fifty buildings were blazing. Fire cisterns were pumped dry, so they used the river to pump water to the fires. In all, the Great Tiffin Fire of 1872 devoured 70 buildings and damage of over $90,000 in property which was a very sizeable sum in the 1870’s.

The first full time paid fire department began February 1, 1894. After several failed attempts, council passed legislation which disbanded the volunteer fire department. The first full time paid Fire Chief was W. H. Bloom who served from 1894-1896. He spent a total of 36 years in the fire service starting out as a volunteer assistant foreman fireman.

 

In 1917, the city council contracted with the Tiffin Wagon works to come up with a motorized chemical hose truck. Cost of the truck was a whopping $1850.00! This truck is still in the Tiffin area and locally owned.

 

Tiffin EMS- On November 17, 1966 an ordinance was passed which created a Department of Ambulance Service. July of 1975 saw the beginning of a first run ambulance and its crew put into service at the #2 station on North Washington Street and Second Ave. As a companion to the move, the ordinance establishing the Department of Ambulance was abolished and a new ordinance introduced and passed which placed the ambulance service within the fire department as a third service and established rates for various types of service.

October of 1988 saw the Tiffin Division Ambulance begin providing the city and surrounding townships with the first paramedic services. In 1997 the Fire Department and Ambulance Service merged to form the Tiffin Fire/Rescue Division. All personnel were cross trained as firefighters and Emergency Medical Technicians.

More Information on the history of the Tiffin Fire Department can be obtained at the Tiffin-Seneca Public Library. Excerpts were gathered from the “History of Tiffin Fire Dept., 150 years” written by Richard Steinmetz former Deputy Chief.

In case of an emergency, please dial 911

OUR BUSINESS OFFICE IS LOCATED AT STATION #1
53 S. MONROE ST.
(419) 448-5444

HOURS OF OPERATION
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
MONDAY – FRIDAY

FIREDIVISION@TIFFINOHIO.GOV